Preventative home maintenance this spring? Is it really that important?
As winter melts away….spring is right around the corner and it is time to start thinking about caring for the exterior of our homes again. Preventative maintenance around the home is very important. There are several simple things we as homeowners can do to help prevent additional issues (and headaches) down the road.
A few routine reminders…
- Clean gutters and downspouts routinely throughout the year
- Clean drains/drainage pipes to allow water to flow as intended
- Inspect home foundations and crawl spaces for signs of water infiltration or other issues
- Check retaining walls for cracking, leaning or other signs of failure
- Check that your sump pump is plugged in and functioning appropriately
- Note that the grading of your yard should allow for water to run away from foundation not puddle alongside it
If hiring a contractor to assist with your preventative home maintenance, keep in mind they may be scheduling out several weeks. It is always best to address any concerns as they arise versus waiting until the last minute to make sure your contractor’s schedule aligns with your needs.
In closing, be sure to address any issues you are aware of as soon as you can. If you know you have foundation cracks that are leaking, consult with an engineer to determine the best path forward. Taking care of foundation/drainage issues sooner rather than later will likely save you money in the long run. Allowing moisture to continue to infiltrate the home can cause additional structural issues as well as lead to issues with mold growth. If you have a foundation concern contact a licensed structural engineer and have it evaluated.
Click on our SERVICES page to find out more about the services we offer.